Please click here for a slide show on Chicago Southland logistics opportunities. Click here for another slide show presentation prepared for a Chinese delegation. Click here for the economic development viewer.
Industrial Site Development The Industrial Site Development program promotes Southland’s cargo-oriented development (COD) assets by converting its vacant industrial lands into the sites for new business investments.
Logistics in Calumet Business Development Study: This study evaluates the market environment and opportunities for Logistics Park Calumet, an intermodal logistics development located in Chicago’s southern suburbs. Logistics Park Calumet’s main sponsors are the South Suburban Mayors and Managers Association and its development arm, the Chicago Southland Economic Development Corporation. While these public agencies are currently fulfilling the role of master developer, this does not preclude a private development company from entering into this role at a later time. All of the communities involved in Logistics Park Calumet are current members of the South Suburban Mayors and Managers Association. Please click here to download the study.
The southern portion of Chicago and Chicago’s southern suburbs in the Calumet region is a place with extraordinary advantages for industrial business development:
- Central location in the Chicago metropolitan area
- Unparalleled freight transportation access: with service from five Class I and 4 short line railroads, ramps to six expressways, close proximity to two major intermodal freight terminals, the Port of Chicago, Midway Airport and the developing South Suburban Airport
- Vacant land including over 3,000 acres of vacant, industrially zoned properties including several sites being organized into shovel ready sites with rail access
- The calumet regional residents are welcoming new businesses and the expansion of existing businesses to assist in rebuilding this region with new jobs, affordable housing, great natural resources, and transit amenities. The Calumet is reclaiming itself as a distinct place with a common culture, ecology and economy.
Deep Support in Site Pre-development & Business Financing:
- South Suburban GIS Atlas makes mapped, comprehensive site data available on line for dozens of industrial locations.
- Brownfields Remediation including USEPA-funded brownfield site assessment and 0 to 1 percent interest on financing for brownfield cleanups.
- South Suburban Land Bank and Development Authority aids in clearing back taxes and liens and may hold property on a tax-exempt basis during the land assembly process.
- Southland Community Development Fund provides loans at below market rates for land acquisition and predevelopment, and works in tandem with the SouthlandLenders Consortium of 8 banks to provide construction and business development loans.
- Brownfields Redevelopment & Intermodal Promotion Act (BRIMPA) uses state funding to provide the financial benefits of an established tax increment financing (TIF) district for sites within three miles of two intermodal freight terminals and multiple expressway ramps
- Green Site planning and financing including green infrastructure storm water management tools leading to LEED certification available through the Calumet Reserve initiative.
- Tax Abatement and Incentive Programs ranging from long-term property tax reductions to the construction of rail sidings may be tailored to the needs of individual developments and industrial businesses in conversations facilitated by Calumet industrial development specialists with County and State officials.
- Coordinating the Planning and Financing for infrastructure needs to support expansion and redevelopment of manufacturing and distribution companies.
Workforce Development Support
Calumet Green Manufacturing Partnership (CGMP) addresses the labor/skills mismatch and offers access to a pool of local workers trained and certified in advanced manufacturing technology for a range of manufacturing positions including computer numerically controlled (CNC) equipment operations. Click here to watch a video on the program
- Logistics Ladder Worker Training Programs supply local workers trained and licensed as commercial truck drivers, certified warehouse workers, and logistics professionals.
- Customized Worker Training available through a consortium of community colleges and business services partners.
- Incentives for Creating Jobs including wage reimbursements and tax credit programs
- Housing Support for workers and families through the Chicago Southland Housing and Community Development Collaborative
- DCEO Office of Employment and Training (OET) is providing Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act funding. Read more here.
- Paine/Wetzel TCN Worldwide has completed the purchase of a 496,260 square foot industrial building located at 21751 Jason Rasmussen Drive in Sauk Village.
- Sterling Lumber Company is consolidating three manufacturing plants into previously vacant brownfields properties and creating and sustaining over 150 jobs in Harvey and Phoenix, IL. Brownfields activities have been paid by USEPA and IEPA grant funds awarded to south suburbs.
- I-57 and I-294 interchange will be completed by 2014 after a $700M investment creating a significant new transportation artery in the area. Click here to see the I-294/I-57 Interchange Land Use and Economic Development Plan.
- Redevelopment of new truck access to the CN intermodal site of over $20M will be initiated in 2014.