In November of 2004, the State of Illinois enacted legislation formalizing and expanding the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District’s role in flood control by naming the District as the Regional Stormwater Management Agency for Cook County. The District will be involved in the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of flood control facilities and related stormwater management projects. The authority granted to the District by the Act is applicable to all of Cook County and is not limited to the District’s corporate boundaries.
The Act calls for the formation of Watershed Planning Councils (WPCs). A WPC has been formed for each of the six established watersheds of the Chicago Metropolitan Area as listed below:
- North Branch Chicago River
- Lower Des Plaines Tributaries
- Cal-Sag Channel
- Little Calumet River
- Poplar Creek
- Upper Salt Creek
The Act describes specific responsibilities of the WPCs. The key responsibilities of the WPCs are as follows:
- Advise the District on the needs and interests of local governments.
- Advise the District on the development of the countywide stormwater management plan with respect to their specific watersheds.
- Recommend rules and regulations to the District governing the provisions of the countywide stormwater management ordinance.
The Act calls for the following municipal conferences to be responsible for coordination of the WPCs:
- Northwest Municipal Conference
- South Suburban Mayors and Managers Association
- Southwest Conference of Mayors
- West Central Municipal Conference
The municipal conferences coordinate the activities of certain designated WPCs as follows:
Northwest Municipal Conference (NWMC)
- Poplar Creek Watershed
- Upper Salt Creek Watershed
- Lower Des Plaines Tributaries Watershed (in cooperation with WCMC)
- North Branch Chicago River Watershed (in cooperation with WCMC)
West Central Municipal Conference (WCMC)
- Lower Des Plaines River Tributaries (in cooperation with NWMC)
- North Branch Chicago River Watershed (in cooperation with NWMC)
Southwest Conference of Mayors (SWCM)
- Cal-Sag Channel Watershed
South Suburban Mayors and Managers Association (SSMMA)
- Little Calumet River Watershed
Click here to download the Stormwater Management for Cook County brochure.